earthmother45 (earthmother45) wrote in glassworks,
earthmother45
earthmother45
glassworks

"On Rising Winds"

I started working on this window a while ago. When I began, I took pictures of the process, because it is a little different than my usual work.

It all started with a commission that didn’t work out quite as I thought it would. The client had a large transom (5' long x 2’ high) over top of double doors inside their home. When I went there to check it all out, I noticed several eagle statues in different rooms of their home and suggested an eagle for the design. The transom was right over the doors of the one of the rooms with an eagle in it.

They had a really hard time trying to visualize it. I drew several designs for them to see, showed them the glass suggestions, but they finally said NO, it was just too wild looking. I thought it would be gorgeous and make such a statement, but I think they were just afraid of trying something different, and were leaning more towards a traditional window. Boring in my opinion. Then it was time for them to go north (to Canada) for the summer, so the whole project has been put on hold until they get back in November.

Anyway, since I already had the bevel cluster of the eagle, I decided to just go ahead and make a free-hanging window to sell. I drew the design for a 24” round window and I love how it turned out.



Behind the cut are some steps of the progression of this window.

Here's the design I drew. Quite simple compared to some I've done, but I wanted the eagle to be the focal point. I was a little worried when I began that the Baroque glass would overpower the eagle, but when I saw it up to the light, I thought it was just fine. The eagle really stands out!



This is the glass I chose for the background. It is Spectrum black & clear Baroque. I cut the entire background out of one piece of 2 foot square glass so the flow of the Baroque glass would carry through the entire window. It is a long and tedious process to do it this way, and much more difficult than just cutting random pieces, but well worth it to me.



These are the leftovers from that one piece of glass when I was all done cutting. Not too much waste.



Here the background is all cut out . . .



The beveled eagle cluster is in place with the background glass . . .



Here's the glasses I chose for the "rising winds." They are all just textured clears . . .



All cut out, foiled and ready to solder . . .



Partially soldered. That is a one pound roll of solder at the front right of the picture. When I first started doing glass, I used to be able to get a roll for $3. Now it can be as much as $15!





This a came bender. I have had it for almost 20 years and it has proved invaluable to me in bending zinc for round or arched windows.




Here it is with a 6 foot piece of zinc ready to be bent into a circle. I only turn that wheel on the front a quarter of a turn at a time to bend the zinc smoothly.





Partially bent . . .




Almost there . . .




So close . . .




Ahhh ~~ a perfect fit, and ready to solder all the joints to the zinc. Then turn it over and solder the other side the same way.




I applied a black patina on the silver solder. I think it enhances the glass and makes everything more dramatic. I've seen some leave their windows all silver, but not me!




And here is the title engraved on the back . . .




Here I hung it in another window to get a little different light effect . . .



I'm going to send this picture to my clients up north and show them what they could have had. :)
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

  • 10 comments